Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #210
bgeno
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: 2nd Title Update Preliminary Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Pot, meet kettle? Where and how? Please explain because I never shot down anyone who preferred gameplay over presentation. My theory is that BOTH should be done well. I clearly said in my earlier post that atmosphere and gameplay should a marriage.
My bad, man. I didn't notice that. Sorry.

::edit::

No, I'm going to stick with the pot vs. kettle thing...

Quote:
Honestly, I don't care how great gameplay is. If the atmosphere is bad, who wants to play it?
On topic, though...

Quote:
Gameplay should be an automatic in any game. It's like the engine of a car, it must perform well. But why stop there? Let's make that car look great. Let throw in all the sounds and feel of true NFL broadcast like we see on Sundays. We have the technology to do all of this correctly.
That sounds great in theory. But, like I said, even though there are two development departments in the design of a game (visual/presentation and gameplay), there is still only so much time and so many resources.

There are ALWAYS going to be some things that get priority over others, especially in a patch. You may have to sacrifice a gameplay element for presentation or vice versa. You can't get everything all the time.

Quote:
We shouldn't be sitting here saying, "Go play Blitz or that's what the real NFL is for or it's just a video game." If that stuff doesn't matter to you BGeno, no ill will or hate towards you and totally respect your opinion. But people have to ask themselves, "Why does EA have the ESPN and NFL exclusivity if they won't integrate much of at all?"
And people also have to ask themselves, "What's the point of the utilizing the ESPN license if the game plays like crap?"

Why not put extra resources into making the game PLAY like real football, as opposed to it just LOOKING like real football? After all, it's a game that you're supposed to play, not a movie you're supposed to watch.

Last edited by bgeno; 10-20-2009 at 11:33 AM.