View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #369
Swingking77
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: 2nd Title Update Preliminary Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycool
While I agree with you when referring to football terminology, I have to disagree with you when speaking Madden play calling terminology. In Madden whenever a play says "Cover 2" there is always someone covering the flats via a zone. When a play is called "Cover 3" there are always players in flat zone coverage. If the play were man up on the outside it says "Cover 2 man" or "Cover 3 man" and there are many variations of these safety sets as you said, however if the play is called simply "Cover 2" or "Cover 3" there are ALWAYS players covering the flats. Again I am only speaking of Madden language here. I certainly do not disagree with anything you said accept only to point out that when someone says they need to fix "cover 2" or "cover 3", they are most likely speaking of the plays themselves, not the safety sets.
Alright... Dime Bucs/Bears Cover 2... Any flats coverage? Nope... The terminology is right, but the expectation is off... In the basic cover 2 in the 4-3, you have twp DBs playing a flats zone, but they also have to cover WRs... If they run quick paterns, that are still within their area, they cover that player leaving the deep flats to cover the short routes... Leaving the HBs open, but that's the nature of the game. You gotta get a good ajm on them to slow them down. You can't cover everything. I know what you're trying to say, but it just isn't that simple. There aren't always guys in the flats in a Cover 2 in this game, or in real life. That one was just off the top of my head. The other that doesn't employ coverage in the flats and is a Cover 2 is the basic 3-4 Cover 2, everyone is of behind the LOS...

@Tick32

Again, the screens were broken in the game and didn't work, the players didn't run the routes well and the HBs only caught lobs, making it easier for a LB to bat it down... But the short game was alive and well in the game, trust me. BUT a big difference in these two games, I find, is the amount of blitzing which took place. You HAD to play smart D in 2K, making for a wide variety of plays being defended... This year, and years past, with Madden, the blitz rained supreme with little a player could do against it... All I'm saying is that there are a lot of ways of stopping these plays because I've done it, employing the ways which I included in the previous posts, and for the reasons which I also outlined. I think some people want to use their sliders more then the games original config, but then if something goes wrong, which their sliders may have caused, they want it addressed in a patch... Try increasing the D's awareness and reaction and you'll see stops... And if you're playing online, stop blitzing and employ press and man coverages and you'll get success, eventually. Maybe not everytime, but enough to get the job done...

P.S. I'm also very curious how many of you guys set your D matchups for your games... Makes a HUGE difference. You need the proper matchups. Choose a faster OLB to cover HBs, or a SS or FS... But then again, that's something that takes time to do and learn how to do it as well. But it makes all of the difference in the world... There is another thread on this as well. And what's also nice about doing this is that all those "wierder" packages that guys like to use don't matter anymore when you're playing man D Enjoy... Those of you who want to protest can do so, but there are a lot of people out there who are doing what you say is impossible simply by learing a bit about how the D works and how you can use the new options to better your chances...

Last edited by Swingking77; 11-08-2009 at 09:44 PM.