View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
StormJH1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
First of all, that article was a jumbled mess. The title doesn't even make sense, and it contradicts the subject matter.

Are any of you old enough to remember 2004? Just curious b/c I don't understand how you can argue that NFL 2k5 was the greatest sports video game ever, when it wasn't even clearly the best football game in 2004. I don't care what measurable you use--go look at chat boards, meta scores, reviews, # of units sold, whatever, Madden and 2k were neck and neck, yet nobody ever throws Madden 2005 in these "greatest game ever" discussions.

People made excuses for 2k5 left and right because it was only $19.99 and because they hated the arrogance of the "evil empire" (EA). And I find it extremely coinicidental that games people always talk about as "best ever" were ones that were no longer made after that year. Actually, no, it makes perfect sense because the only time people on this site truly evaluate something for what it is (instead of complaining about how it should've been better) is when they KNOW they won't be getting anything better next year. Hence, 2k5, MVP 2005, and especially CH2008 reguarly make it into these discussions.

I like 2k5, and I do think that in retropspect, it offered the best "building block" for what a next-gen football game could look like. But 2k5 as a product in its time was markedly inferior to Madden 2005 in many ways, including the franchise mode, player progression, framerate, and (even some would argue) overall visual quality. 2k is a martyr on these boards, but outside of the NBA2k series, what have they done on the 7th gen consoles to suggest that they would've done anything different but put out a new version of 2k5 every year with new rosters and a new feature here or there?
Advertisements - Register to remove