roadman
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: 2nd Title Update Preliminary Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
So here's what I'm wondering:

Will everyone here who's frustrated with the fact that a) patches are needed to fix some fairly significant issues, and b) the fact that they're taking so long, remember this in the summer and clamor to include questions about quality assurance if/when EA takes questions about Madden 2011?

Inevitably I'm sure EA wants to get this patch done, for among other reasons, so that things calm down a bit and they can begin turning everyone's attention to Madden '11--you know, the traditional "look what we have coming guys!"

My hope is that this frustration is not forgotten in the hype of the next game, and that effective quality control PRE-release becomes a legitimate issue for discussion. Not the sexiest thing in the world, but are we not impacted by it well into November?

While not probable, I believe this is possible if EA is not given COMPLETE free reign to COMPLETELY dictate the course of those discussions based on public feedback. Of course, they could still choose to ignore those questions or comments because they wouldn't fit into the marketing message and talking points that must be adhered to. And if so, then ce' la vie.

IMHO, Madden '10 was a better effort, but not solid. And I'm not even talking new features, because those inevitably come in time. I'm simply talking about releasing a product in August that is tantamount to beta, then announcing to the community that you'll just let them bring to your attention what needs to be fixed, i.e., the "cream rising to the top" comment thrown out there (by yes, Ian). We effectively become paying QA testers, and lnumerous threads appear regarding patches and their status as time goes on.

We can debate the merits of patches all we want, but if this is their idea of QA, it is horribly lacking and becomes more prevalent with each release. Do the developers lack the skill set to "get it done"? Given the repeated history with this, I submit these are valid questions regardless of any mods with itchy trigger fingers or fans who (in extreme cases) are the "Bagdad Bobs" of Madden (everything's fine; nothing to see here; everything is under control. Please go back into your homes and be happy with your beta).

So, even if you get what you want in this patch, will you be willing to go through it again next year? Or will it be important enough to tell that them that you care about this at the beginning? Or will you care at all then, though you may care now?
You bring up some interesting points, but Madden is not the only sports game that is beta tested. Each sports game I own on NG has at least two patches, one with three. So, are you asking, that we refrain from purchasing all sports games that are run on a yearly cycle? Are you then suggesting that all one year sport titles the developers lack the skill set of "get it done.?"

Also, the Madden community received a patch on 08 in November and people are still purchasing Madden. Maybe people on the net will be able to hold back, but people that don't peruse the net probably won't stop their purchasing plans.

I've been a sim freak(my definition is different than others) of working the sliders to get close to real stats, ie QB's 60% comp %'s, RB's with 4.2 rpa's, shooting % close to real life, etc...... After some serious consideration, I've decided that I just don't have the time to do this anymore. I'm too much of an perfectionist when it comes to getting the stats right. It takes me several months(3-4) to accomplish this to my satisfaction.

I've just decided that this is too time consuming and by the time I finish a season, the next seasonal sports game comes out. I've decided to go back to my childhood era where playing Electronic Football, Talking Sports Football, and Photo-Electric Football we played with our friends for hours and we didn't care if our punters could play the OL, or the college friends playing the early versions of Madden all night long without a care and watching the ambulance drive by. Life was simpler back then and I intend to go back to that "fun factor" instead of worrying myself sick getting the sliders to align like the stars.

I'll still mess around with sliders for the first few weeks and will enjoy patches that accompany the games I play to enhance the game further.

I understand that most of you will want a more realistic experience like you see on Sunday and that is fine because that is what makes the games better. I just realized "Father Time" is catching up with me.

I'll still be a hard core gamer, but not as hard core as in the recent past.