Old 11-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
KBLover
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Why can't players have 100 Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
100 would imply perfection, and no one is perfect. But then, I don't think we should be using numbers at all. This is the equivelant of knowing Mario's speed as compared to Sonci's instead of just knowing Sonic is faster. Sports games have been extremely lazy with their design by using numbers instead of real world stats, scouting techniques, and just letting gamers enjoy the player playing the game. The ability list is one thing APF2K8 did really well (view it here).
Well you wouldn't like playing RPGs then - they are very number oriented.

However, in sports, players ARE graded and often those grades are expressed in numbers.

And, all real world stats would do is become the ratings. From a programming standpoint, there's no other way, unless you want all players to be the same.

If two players run at different speeds, one has a higher speed rating than the other. Whether or not you see it in the GUI is another issue.

Otherwise, how is the game to know to make one guy animate faster than the other?

BTW, there was a Mario game with ratings, Super Mario 2 I believe - Luigi had a 4 in jumping (highest rating) while Toad had a 4 in lifting (highest rating), etc.

So even in platformers, there are ratings.

DMC has one (different stats of weapons), Symphony of the Night did (Alucard's level, weapon stats, monster stats)

Just because I couldn't pull up a screen with all of Alucard's exact "ratings" doesn't mean the game just some how magically knew what to do.

I haven't played APF2K8, but I'm willing to bet those abilities set or modify player ratings so that those differences can be expressed in the game.