View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Cardot
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Inside Lacrosse's College Lacrosse 2010 Review

Finally downloaded the game. And I have to say, I think it is great.

First I'll mention the obvious. It is a $5 Indie game. Please do not expect a game on par with the current generation of sports games ala EA or 2K. Some have suggested it looks like a game from last gen.....I might go as far as to say it looks like a game from a few generations ago. But that isn't such a bad thing. When I first downloaded the game, I did something I haven't done in a while with a sports game.....I PLAYED it! That's right, I jumped right in and played it. I didn't start out by investing 20 hours in "slider test mode" (there are no sliders.) I also didn't obsess about every detail that does not 100% replicate the real thing.

Another benifit of the primitive graphics is that there are no load times.

It is a fun game, but it also does a pretty good job of capturing a lacrosse feel to it. It is not just a hockey or basketball port. You can pass behind the cage, you can draw doubles etc. The transition game feels pretty good. Shooting is done with the right thumbstick and feels like shooting mechanism from EA's hockey game.

While there is no licensing to the game, it does allow you to create leagues & teams. So you can create NCAA teams...or MLL teams...or a high school league...or any teams really.

My only gripe is that you have to be connected to XBL to play (which I guess the deal with all Indie games). Kind of a pain for me.

For any Lax fan, I highly recommend giving this a try.