View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #48
KBLover
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 2k8's Ratings or Maddens old number system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
It was more simplistic; the simplicity in my speculation is what makes it superior and more practical when compared to Madden's system.
I think Madden's problem is that the ratings are all too high. There's so many 80s and 90s guys as if every player in the NFL is above average. Or if 80 is "Average" then 90+ doesn't stand out as much.

If average players were in the 60s and elite players were in the 90s then I bet there would be more distinction (assuming ratings mattered as much as they should)

Quote:
In my opinion, EA needs to take a page out of 2k8's book and simplify the rating system. Some of these ratings seem serve the same purpose. We have run blocking strength, pass blocking strength as well as strength; WHAT FOR !
Strength could be for things like comparing holding on to the ball vs ripping out the ball. A weak back vs a strong DT trying to strip the ball should be an advantage for the DT.

Also, raw physical strength and the ability to get and maintain leverage on engagement (run/pass blocking) are two different things.

Quote:
Shouldn't the strength rating be enough? We have agility and elusivesness, why ?
Agility is the ability to make cuts. It should matter more with change in direction.

Elusiveness is probably the "break tackle" rating modified by the moves a back has. Kind of like "finesse moves" vs "power moves"

Quote:
We have awareness and play recognition; that's the same difference !
No it's not.

Play Recognition is reading keys. For example, a DL with good PRC could detect the OL setting up a screen an not getting sucked in. A DB with good PRC could see that the WR are trying to get a rub and not get sucked into it.

Awareness is for things like finding holes in zones (PRC would be recognizing that the defense is using zone coverage, or reading blitz and who's blitzing and adjusting your route accordingly), timing your jump or using your hands to bat down the ball at the right time. Awareness is turning and looking for the ball in man coverage or being able to react to the intentionally underthrown pass.

You don't have to read the play to turn and find the ball. Or to time your jump at the highest point of the catch, or to get your hands up as a DT to bad down the pass.

Quote:
We've got breaking tackles and trucking; that's the same thing
No it's not. Trucking as move - a type of breaking tackles. Breaking tackles is the ability of the back to do it successfully. There's many ways to break tackles, the moves ratings try to set up how the back is best able to do it so every back just doesn't spin, etc.

Quote:
!We've got pass blocking and run blocking footwork and agility; again, what for ?
Again, agility is changing directions, like cuts. You don't need to make cuts to pass block, you need to be able to keep your balance and make subtle shifts and maintain your base in doring so. That's what the footwork is (or should be) for.

Quote:
Think about it like mixure of colors. You can use many different combos of 2 colors and get vastly different results from each combo. If you try to create different colors with combos of 6 or 7 colors, the results more often that not, will end up being different shades of brown.
Except most ratings probably are, or should be, used in combos of 2 or 3 when determining the result of any given move/engagement/interaction.

I don't have a problem with Madden's rating set up. I see it as trying to flesh out players as a difference of individual football skills. Real life players, even two who are of the same effectiveness are equally effective for different reasons, creating situations where one player might have the upper hand but be weaker in other situations. Coaching/play calling is then trying to exploit the weaknesses as you find them and minimizing your own if at all possible.

Madden is trying to capture that, but when the ratings don't make enough impact to begin with, then it falls apart.

If Madden had only 5 ratings, it wouldn't be any better if the only one of those 5 that has serious impact is speed.

That's where the real issue lies, imo. Not that there's 10+ ratings, but only about 2 or 3 of them really impact things on a significant and consistent basis.

Last edited by KBLover; 11-30-2009 at 01:51 PM.