Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #27
DonkeyJote
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: EA to focus on "quality games" in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12
I looked at VGchartz and you're right there was a spike for Madden 2007. That was the first year the game was available for both the nex-gen systems and it sold 7.62M copies. Madden 08 sold 6.71M copies (down 12%). Madden 09 sold 6.3M copies (down 6%). So far Madden 10 on 4 systems (XBOX is out) has only sold 3.27M. There will be a big increase in the next month because of Christmas but it's not going save it from a significant sales decrease.
Madden 07 sold less than half a million copies for the Ps3. So the increase was more than that. And it was the second year on the system for the 360. And how many people bought copies on multiple systems? Very few, I'd imagine. So the increase in 360 sales because of people upgrading their system would've directly impacted the sales of the game for the last gen systems, and total sales still went up. A lot. And if you look just at the XBOX, it's best selling year in this block, was 06, the first year of exclusivity.

I'm not going to deny that sales have gone down since 07, and part of that is the lack of a quality product over the last few years. And competetition might help that. But the sales are still higher now, in my opinion, than they would be had EA not bought the license. They fallen sales are also a result of a weak economy, and related to the weak economy, the growth of the used games market. I think 2k's sales would be low now as well. Almost all games are. Sports games in general are suffering a bit in sales.