MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Hi again

Potential defined as
  1. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
  2. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
Inherent defined as

Permanently existing in something; inseparably attached or connected; naturally pertaining to; innate; inalienable; as, polarity is an inherent quality of the magnet; the inherent right of men to life, liberty, and protection. "A most inherent baseness.

Capacity defined as

1. maximum output or producing ability operating at capacity
  2. the quality of being adapted (for something) or susceptible (of something); capability; potentiality
So by definition potential is a max ability that can ever be reached. Lets break it down further. Like comparing one part of Coal power plant to one part of a nuclear power plant.(I will use theoretical numbers to prove the basic point)

One reactor from a coal plant has the potential to produce 10 units of power. No matter how much coal you put into the reactor or even if you use 100 reactors, you will still only have the potential to get 10 units of power from a reactor. A nuclear reactor has the potential to produce 1000 units of power. Again, even if you add more reactors you still can only get 1000 units of power from it.

By saying you can change a players potential is like saying you can change the amount of power you could potentially produce from a power plant. Because we already know its impossible to increase the max power output, why would you think we should be able to increase a players potential?(do you just want to increase it for guys you think deserve it?) If that is the case, why not just allow us to be able to change players attributes mid franchise?
Hey bud,

I like your power plant analogy, I think it makes sense in the terms of defining the word potential. Not sure if I agree that it fits to players in the NFL though. Because of the human element (effort, practice, etc...) I think potential does have the ability to fluctuate, and I would love to see that implemented within franchise mode.

If I have a WR with a 79 overall rating (with "C" potential) and his catch rating is an 82... I don't like that he can never increase his catch rating beyond an 82 because his OVR rating is capped at 79. If potential could fluctuate a bit he could actually improve... Like in real life if he practiced and worked at it to improve his hands.

Because of the current system, once a player hits his capped number, he can't improve in a single category. All progression in every sense of the word screeches to a halt. I don't think that makes any sense because the guy hit a pre-determined overall number.

I have an indoor soccer game to go to, be on later