Old 12-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #283
Glorious Arc
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Hey bud,

I like your power plant analogy, I think it makes sense in the terms of defining the word potential. Not sure if I agree that it fits to players in the NFL though. Because of the human element (effort, practice, etc...) I think potential does have the ability to fluctuate, and I would love to see that implemented within franchise mode.

If I have a WR with a 79 overall rating (with "C" potential) and his catch rating is an 82... I don't like that he can never increase his catch rating beyond an 82 because his OVR rating is capped at 79. If potential could fluctuate a bit he could actually improve... Like in real life if he practiced and worked at it to improve his hands.

Because of the current system, once a player hits his capped number, he can't improve in a single category. All progression in every sense of the word screeches to a halt. I don't think that makes any sense because the guy hit a pre-determined overall number.

I have an indoor soccer game to go to, be on later
I completely agree that the current system is completely messed up. No system should ever be built like it currently is(for those who dont know click the link for a breakdown)http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ogression.html

I think instead players should have a potential cap on EVERY attribute they have. Meaning just because your WR has maxed out in route running and awareness he could still progress in catching because it hasnt reached its max. This is taken straight from HC 09 again.

I can refer back to my power plant to fully explain how the human element can be negated. When we first had nuclear power it could only produce 400 units of power...Its potential was still 1000 though...We just didnt know it yet. We made advancements in tech and improved output to 750 units. Following then the final advancement that completely unlocked its power and gave us 1000 units of power. No matter what we do we can only harvest 1000 units from nuclear production. The only way to get more units is to use another material(different player) or a completely new form of power(also a different player) The only difference between the power plants and humans is power plants dont have "moments" they are a constant flow.

Grant it, in the NFL the phrase any given Sunday rings true. Madden's game play should allow for any given player a chance to perform a given action(even if its less then 1% chance) this would allow for plays from players like Tyree and other average guys to make stellar plays once in a rare time. That means just because you have a 75 rated player doesnt mean he wont be great at all but at least every now and then he will have a stellar moment. Players who are rated 90+ would be making outstanding plays left and right.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 12-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.