SoxFan01605
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: First Party vs. Third Party Football Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
Roadman,

It depends on the article. The one on Madden NFL looked pretty accurate. But, I'm Googling it now to get more facts.

Pared,

But, I could've sworn that there was a new BYFB game released recently...
He addressed BYFB. EA owns the license period. There will be no other 1st or 3rd party game, period. I'm quite certain if there was, MS would try to still grab a piece of the popular NFL pie and SCEA might try their hand again as well.

Baseball is a different animal, which is why we fortunately have a game like The Show despite 2Ks hold on 3rd party rights.

Here's a link to some details on the original deal (which was eventually extended to 2013):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12...s_6114977.html

Quote:
The deal, one EA admits to having lobbied for over the past few years, is an exclusive five-year licensing deal granting EA the sole rights to the NFL's teams, stadiums, and players. However, the publisher and Players Inc. denied a similar deal was in the works in May 2004, even requesting publications that ran the story run public retractions.

The NFL/EA arrangement encompasses action, simulation, arcade-style, and manager games made for PCs, consoles, and handhelds (both the DS and PSP, included), giving EA a firm hold on the football gaming market. The deal does not include titles for mobile phones or Internet-based games, but does include online features of consoles.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 12-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.