View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
JayInSaratoga
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Issues with the 3-4 Defense in Madden...

I've had some really good results with the 3-4 in my franchise though i don't run the 3-4 completely true to it's design.

I converted the Giants to a 3-4 defense by moving Kiwanuka to LOLB (I did this before I started the franchise so I could bump his AWR rating a little as part of the change) Canty to RE and traded Umenyiora and a couple draft picks to Baltimore for Haloti Ngata, who I play at NT. Also made trades for Maluaga and Cushing to be inside backers in my 3-4. So my starting front 7 are Canty, Ngata, Tuck on the line and Sintim, Maluaga, Cushing and Kiwanuka behined them.

I usually control Ngata, Tuck or one of the blitzing OLBs and each season I have managed to hit double digit sacks with Tuck, Sintim and Kiwanuka. Now I know DEs are not supposed to be highly effective pass rushers in a 3-4, but I do scheme opportunities for Tuck to go 1-on-1 with a blocker and rush the passer, often by sliding my D-line toward the strong side, pitting Tuck 1-on-1 with the RT. This is where I don't play a "traditional" 3-4.

Of my 3 sack artists, Sintim is the player I control the least, but he still seems to pick up sacks without my intervention. When I view replays I often see Canty pushing the LT into the LG, tieing up both blockers and giving Sintim a free path to the QB.

Ngata very often blows up the inside running game by pushing the OC back and forcing one of the OGs to help.