View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #19
NoLittleBabies
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Run blocking still needs work

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
While I understand the OL shouldn't be so easily confused, isn't that part of why those formations were developed in real life? The 1-5-5 disguises who the rushers will be - there's a bunch of guys standing up - any number of them could be blitzing or could be in coverage.

Same for the 3-3-5, who's the 4th rusher? Where will he be coming from? Who's dropping in coverage?

The show blitz confusion sounds a lot like what aggressive defenses do in real life to confuse the QB's reads and the protection assignments. Another way to disguise the 4th/5th rusher - they ALL look like they are coming - so who is and who isn't?

I wouldn't want THOSE nuances out of Madden any more than I want the OL to be confused on an dog and pony trick that looks anything different than a 4-3 set.
I understand what you're getting at, and I agree. They can't overcompensate and end up making the offensive line into infallible robots who know exactly where the rush is and put themselves into perfect position every time. Awareness and other ratings should matter, and certain blitzes should confuse certain linemen, and blocks should be missed at times.

But, there's nothing confusing happening in the second video I posted. And no lineman on an NFL roster would ignore the linebackers in that play. It's a simple, straight-ahead running play and the linebackers are positioned directly in front of the G and T. It's all pretty straight forward and should be able to pick up 4-5 yards at the very least.