Thread: In game ads
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
kehlis

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: In game ads

Quote:
So I ask you, what percs did we get indirectly from last year's add? Can you prove we got anything from it... Or was what we got simply the product of the regular game production cycle. Sureley you are not suggesting that games only get better from year to year based on how much advertising, in game, a game has... That's rediculous... My responce was not one of trolling, but and honnest answer which was more then a simple two or three word "Yes, indirectly"... If you want to jump down my throat, proove your point as opposed to disprooving mine... Which, BTW, you've not even done...
I didn't think you were trolling or I wouldn't have responded to you at all.

I mention this in a little more depth down below but briefly, there is nothing I can do short of stealing EA's books and showing them to you to prove if the revenue from advertising affect the game.

It's nothing more than interpretive by nature. It's my opinion that increased revenue from advertising can only help the game itself, and it seems to be your opinion that the money from the advertising goes straight into their pockets.

In a sense, that it true. The company has to make money though, without that money going into the pockets of whoever you think is doing that, where does the money come from to make the game then?

My point is that the fact that they are getting money from ads, can only benefit those who buy the product, not everyone will reap the benefits, maybe they do nothing but revamp online next year, that wouldn't benefit me at all but for the game community as a whole it certainly does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77

1. We were talking about if the adds had percs for the players. Since the adds are far from educational or informative, there are no informative percs there...Still irrelevant. It is not the responisbility of the medium to inform the sponsor if it is reckless advertising or not. It's no different from radio or TV commercials, if the company wants to advertise their product, it is their responsibility to know the audience. Neither you nor I pay for that advertising therefor it is irrelevant to us whether or not we have to see it.

2 + 3. Snickers was in the game last year, as well as maybe the one before that. Did it lower the price of this year's game? Not one cent... Again, %60 is the fair market value for any game. Why would a company lower the price for a game when they could still sell it for the same amount they always have and use the money elsewhere? You remember this is a business right?

4. With Snickers in the game last year, did we see a marked improovment in this year's game? Some yes, was that the result of the adds or simply the evolution of the game development as a whole... I'm banking on simply game evolution and not the other way around. Those fund went right into their pockets.Possibly, and nothing I can point to will convince you otherwise, and nothing you could point to convince me otherwise.

I noticed marked improvement in the game over last years version. I played 09 maybe 10 times, I've played this one considerable more. What changes and how much were the result of advertising dollars is anyone's guess.

Either way, if you want to continue the brigade that EA is all bad and takes this money and shoves it in their pocket, have at it. The fact of the matter is that in order to run a proper business, you need to make money. Why would they not capitalize where they can?

And yes, I do think the game was improved through advertisement revenues.

5. Are these adds in the game this year? Yes they are... Are the presented in the form of so much as a clip phrase, other then "This game is brought to you by EA sports" or "Be a Chompion"... So, did the adds this year bring anything to the presentation. No they did not. Could they have? Sure they could have. And again, last year's game had Snickers...I guess I am unsure what you are looking for with presentation. Could it be better? Absolutely. Could it be worse? We've seen much worse. Is it improved from last year? Yes.