Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #587
Sandman42
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
I did not like the demo at all and will definitely be passing on this one. Played just over two hours (seriously, 1 map? c'mon man!) and nothing felt right to me. If this is trying to be a peer to COD, they swung and missed IMO. The game fluidity is not there, graphics aren't as good, the snow effects look like something out of a N64 game, there is spawn camping like crazy and then let's get to meat of it.

I cannot stand the controls. Too slow, I maxed the sensitivity and still felt it should go much higher (why can Halo 2, a game that came out in 2004, get this right but games like Killzone 2 and BF BC 2 still can't come close to it? Seriously, this question needs answered). The combat knife thing takes way too long and is a very clunky-looking animation. It makes me only want to knife somebody when I'm coming from behind undetected and I know nobody else is around. Why does it take 15-20 bullets to kill somebody? So many times I would absolutely unload on a guy, only to see him still standing and either take cover or kill me while I was reloading. Isn't this supposed to be a modern-day, semi-realistic shooter? How can guys take full clips and still live? Going off of that, the hit detection is absolutely terrible. You can pump a full clip short distance into somebody's chest/head area yet when they kill you, you see they have like 45 health left. How?? Also, the splash damage for the rocket launcher is an absolutely joke. I snuck up on a sniper from behind and pulled out my rocket launcher to be funny. I aimed at the head from the high ground, and not only did I miss but the rocket did no splash damage, thus not alerting the sniper at all (and yes he was playing, I watched him sniper somebody just seconds after that happened).

I hate to be so negative on a demo like this but honestly, I fail to see how this could ever be considered an AAA title. For similarities, I though it felt similar to MAG, except that MAG was way better and a lot more fun to play, not to mention having a ton more players and multiplayer options.
Ugh. Sounds like everything I hated about BC1. Sluggish controls and shoddy hit detection.

MW2 may be a more arcadey shooter to some people, but at least the game has good controls and people don't take half a clip to take down.