Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
jbrew2411
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Trying to figure out the purpose of formations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Great post, Jbrew! I do appreciate that. A lot of what you wrote is consistent to what I've read in other playbooks (real life playbooks) and articles from real coaches like yourself.

I remember reading about how one groundbreaking thing that Texas Tech did under Leach was really spread the splits of his OL out.. which did the opposite of what you'd think. You'd think that it makes bigger holes for rushers to get through, but in reality it forces the defense to spread out even more in order to contain the offense, and that also opens the aforementioned passing lanes.

Is there any very specific aspect of the spread that is mis-represented in Madden that leads you to believe it's not accurate at all? I find uses for the spread, but can also see things that are maybe a bit too effective against the spread at times (man bump... maybe my WR's just aren't that great at releasing).

Anyway, I read what you wrote very closely and it is much appreciated. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for.
Your welcome. Well its a video game so they did some research but in the end these are not football guys so they do things wrong. Like I said before not every team that runs a spread system is not the same. To me they seem to be the same. Also you don't see the creative play that the spread can bring. The routs are base. You don't see those "rub routs" and the play I hate the most is when all 4 WR's run slant routs. Doing so would not spread the D out but draw them towards the middle of the field. I have slant routs like crazy in my playbook but its 1 guy running a slant not all 4. Its been a while since I played Madden and its very rare that I run spread in the game. I can't tell you everything that is wrong. Like I said its a video game so it will not look the same as what you see on Saturday's in college or on Sunday's in the NFL with a few teams.
You are right about the spreading out the line. If the D stays close then the QB will go to a screan or short slant. A quick pass to keep those D-linemen off of your QB. If they spread wide wich you want then you have those lanes that make passes easy and lanes to run as well.
Once again hope I was of some help. The video game spread vs real life spread are two different things.