View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #104
EnigmaNemesis
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Gameplay Video (Mets @ Cubs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgisbeast
People throw around the word new physics engine when it's not as simple as that. Sleepytercel is a mod and probably not that in depth as far as the overall design. He is right in what he is saying in some regards. They did overhaul the game from the ground up. They also used similar animations and portions of the engine is the same. They didn't completely scrap the game. It's 2k, no matter what they do there are going to be similarities unless they erase the game and start from scratch. They rebuilt certain aspects of it. From the ground up in a lot of ways. The player models themselves are completely revamped and brought up to speed with their other titles. I dont knwo what they are using but the technology to animate is definately different as far as their models. It's a different skeletona nd they can pull strings on a lot more aspects of that skeleton as far as facial movement etc.. Revamping is probably a better term. The stadiums are also completely reworked. Physics is one thing. MY concern is the underlying AI wasn't touched as much. From the looks of taht video there still appear to be issues with how IE is integrated as well as player ratings and tendencies not being balanced correctly. They also from the looks of it didn't revamp the fielding and baserunning so much. It's lacking polish underneath and also from an aethetic standpoint. This is the difference between a good game and a great one.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense. I was thinking of it as this way as well.

I think a lot of the inconsistencies with animations are just the new ones not really syncing right with the old ones that are still there. Over time hopefully this will be remedied when they add more of their own new ones, and remove the old ones.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 02-19-2010 at 12:50 AM.