View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
Blazzen
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Another video

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
LMAO! Wow. Pretty condescending talk. Someone's sure full of himself.

We're not talking about a straight apples-to-apples conversion of a player's power numbers into ratings for a video game, yet you seem to be seeking one. Power is not just about home runs. It's about doubles and triples, as well as other factors (e.g. park factor, which, if you'll notice, Glaus played in more hitter-friendly parks in 2007 and 2006). The higher batting averages don't nullify the power numbers a player puts up. Obviously, it plays a role, but the Slg% can't be discounted simply because of the higher BAs.

I think what you're missing, what's lost in all of this pro-Braves agenda, is the fact that Jones and McCann's numbers have been steadfastly consistent and neither is coming off of major surgery. McCann's youth is a big factor as well. While age most likely plays a factor in Glaus' rating, the fact that he is coming off major surgery is perhaps the biggest factor.

Oh, and you need to check your stats. Troy Glaus has never had 30+ HRs "5-7 years in a row," as you mentioned. The most he ever did it was 3 times in a row back in 2000-2002.

Sorry. That 68 is more than deserved.
Didn't mean it to be condescending, I truthfully thought you might have not known how slugging % is calculated because you were comparing a .307 hitter to a .255 hitter and not taking into account that slugging % is TB/AB and a higher batting average will directly contribute to a higher TB total. 52 points of batting average is a good bit. I bet if you crunch the numbers it equates to roughly 75 points in slugging which puts Glaus "power rating" in the same range as Chipper.

Chipper's a few years older and many players have come back strong from surgery (Gonzo and Moyland come to mind).

As bad as many people claim 2k's ratings are I'm surprised to find people so rabidly defending them. Arguging for the sake of argument?
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove