View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #508
SoxFan01605
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

Some quick (for me) impressions (I don't want to go too in-depth as I've only played for a couple days):

All of this is on default settings to get a feel for the game as it was shipped before tweaking things. So I am acknowledging ahead of time, some issues can likely be helped via tweaking.

Good:

-Still love the pitching and can definitely see the improvement in how everything is handled here.

-So far, I'm not seeing the AI aggression issues like some are saying. They are still a bit too aggressive, but much better than last year overall and I've gotten plenty of called strikes, close balls, and even a few walks.

-Commentary. Too early to tell just how good it is in terms of longevity, but purely from a delivery/technical standpoint it towers above the competition and is probably the best I've heard in a sports game.

-Presentation. Some parts are hit or miss and animations can hamper some things, but the cool closeups on key plays or special moments and the camera work is excellent.

-Controls. All of them seem responsive and smooth. Pitching is fantastic, I've always been a fan of the R stick throwing, and the hit stick is far more responsive than in years past.

Bad:

-Animations. Yes there is improvement in spots, but overall there is still too much jerky or twitchy movement. The basic movements are still way too robotic.

-Hitting. ***Full disclosure, I've never been a huge fan of the hit stick (though as I said earlier, it's much smoother this year)***. That said, the hitting still has that incomplete feeling to it. The hit variety is decent, but still lacking. Bat sounds are a mixed bag and I just am not a fan of the overall "feel" of hitting.

Still in question/Mixed Bag:

-Fielding. One of the edges 2K baseball had over competition was the level of user control. Some of that has been taken away, so I was hoping it would equal smoother animations. Unfortunately we get less control with much of the same animation issues. It's better and certainly much more playable, but it's still looking like a hole in the game.

-Graphics. Players look solid overall, and the lighting and stadiums are very good. The crowd ranges from okay to poor, equipment and uniforms (while improved) are still sub-par. Faces are hit and miss, but so far the bad hasn't seemed that bad and the good has been VERY good.

-AI. Still getting a feel for this. I can say with certainty that it's better than 2K9. How much better and how consistent it will be up to snuff remains to be seen. I've seen a few really dumb moments, but nothing major that coudn't be resolved by playing correctly...

(i.e. I accidentally sent the runner on second during a dropped strike 3. This caused the catcher to hesitate and throw WAY too late to third. So both the runner at first AND that runner at third were safe. I was able to reproduce this one more time as well)

I haven't played any of the deeper modes (Franchise, My Player, etc) so I can't say much there, but overall it's still a mixed bag. The good news is there is MUCH less negative in the mix and with some slider work this looks to be a very playable and potentially fun game of baseball. Time will tell but overall I'm pleased with the level of improvement this year.