BroMontana82
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILZPWN

Alright ... medic here.

1) "Clearing the area" is an awfully demanding thing to ask of someone. I mean, really, if they could do that, why even bother reviving you anyway? If it's that easy to "clear the area," what do they need you for? They can just go "clear" the next area, too, while they're at it.

2) They could in fact "clear the area," revive you, and you could still get nailed by a sniper or mortar fire or whatever the second you stand up. What's the difference?

3) If there's no enemies around, I'm more likely to not revive. (Not that I'd avoid it on purpose, just that it's not nearly as pressing.) It's when we're in the midst of a tough 6v4 out in the open that a key revival could swing that skirmish in our favor. If you happen to die right away thereafter, that's just tough luck.

Generally when I revive someone, it's on the chance (33%?) that they're gonna get up and kill someone, help ME stay alive longer, and aid the "push" we're currently making. Has nothing at all to do with points. I'd play the exact same way if revives were worth nothing.

And it's also on this point where I think it's clear why a revive in a clear area isn't worth as much: again, if the area's already clear, we don't necessarily need another body. That person might well be better off spawning on a squadmate or back at base to get a vehicle.

In short: it's in those firefights you mention that revivals are most beneficial, not the other way around.

4) There's some irony in bringing up that people are just going for points; it seems to me that the only reason someone would be miffed about getting revived and then dying right away is because it hurts their KDR - it's a death they didn't "earn." The only other reasons I can think of are if you want to change kits or you're out of ammo, but in those cases, a revive in a "clear" area is just as bad.

All that said, I do know what you're talking about, and, yes, it's annoying. I just think it's something annoying that happens in a more general sense, not anything the medics are doing wrong. In other words, I agree with your first sentence here, it's pretty much a fact, lol, yes that's annoying, I just take exception to the second sentence.

Cheers.
1. it's not that hard or if it is then you let it be. you either take out the enemies, or everyone dies and you regroup as a squad. this isn't stalingrad in WW2 where everyone runs out in the open to get slaughtered. you should lay suppressing fire and secure the area and set up a defensive position. the people on here are mostly "sim" whether its sports games or not. this usually means some semblance of modeling the gameplay to "real life." these medics are running around reviving left and right. it's like people in MW2 who run around just to try and knife people.

2. this is a lot rarer and the chances a lot slimmerr. plus, you have a chance to actually run so it's a huge difference. the medics are just reviving people clearly knowing you will get killed the instant you get up. it happened last night in the game with jistic.

3. what i'm talking about has nothing to do with tough luck. i'm pretty sure you don't have bad luck when you have 0 shot of surviving. how in the world can this be justified as beneficial to anyone except the medic? it has absolutely 0 benefit to the team to just keep getting crushed...especially on offense if you're just losing tickets. and if the area is clear you should definitely revive someone. it's a good way to gain momentum and ground where the squad can regroup without getting killed instantly and you can issue commands etc.

4. 0% irony about people going for points. i couldn't care less about my k/d ratio. mine's not even 1.00 and i don't care. i play the game way the it should be played and i perform the roles i'm supposed to perform as realistically as possible. and i play to help the team and squad out. if it means fixing vehicles and going 0-15 for kills, i'll do it. people get pissed b/c its annoying as hell to just get killed 3 times in a row without moving an inch b/c some idiot is just reviving you while grenades are going off and bullets are ripping everyone to shreds in the area.

this is not in a general sense at all, it's a very specific scenario. if you're talking about a guy getting killed by a single enemy or so and there's cover around or something, that's fine but when you're in the open and the screen is just shaking...nope. it's not ok and it's not better to run into the middle of explosions and bullets to revive people knowing very well that they're just going to die right away and you will too. maybe you can't completely clear the area of enemies but you can at least wait for the firing to die down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILZPWN
Yeah, I mean, like I implied, I know what you guys are talking about. I'm just trying to hammer home the point that when you get revived in the middle of the ish, the idea is we need you and we need you right here and now. The response, psychologically, should be "sir yes sir!" opposed to getting annoyed by it.

Put it this way: I'm only half-way defending medics; the other half I'm trying to spin it so it ceases to be annoying. We're supposed to be having fun here.
yes the team needs you...to be able to do something useful. not to constantly die without being able to shoot, throw a grenade, move the left or right thumbstick. people just need to use some common sense. you and and medics on here are probably reviving a lot of people strategically in a firefight. i'm talking about the medics running into an orgy of mangled teammates in an open area with a constant barrage. and yeah, we're trying to have fun here. it might be fun for the medic racking up 3k points doing this but not for anyone else. i think mikenoob and fresh tendrils summed it up perfectly. that's how it should be done for the most part.

Last edited by BroMontana82; 04-08-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove