View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #844
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

Well, after having this game for five weeks now, I thought I'd give my full-on impressions here.

The Good

The game plays a good game of baseball for the most part. I love the pitching interface. I didn't like the hitting at first, but it has grown on me. My Player was a big success for it's first year. The graphics, while not spectacular, are good enough and the game does look beautiful at certain times.

The Bad

A lot. Where do I begin? It is not my intention to bash the game, but only to give some honest impressions from my viewpoint. Some people will write my opinion off and that's cool. What's important to me might not be important to you, so keep that in mind. I know that I'm able to do that when reading other people's thoughts on a game.

Franchise Mode is completely unplayable to me. I'm a franchise enthusiast but as it stands now, I can't play this mode. Why? The simulated stats are completely broken at this point. Some of the real gems I've seen include Chone Figgins hitting 28 HR, Zack Greinke, Felix Hernandez, Tim Lincecum, Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett, Matt Cain, Brandon Webb and countless other elite starting pitchers finishing full seasons with ERA's above 6. I've seen Cy Young awards go to guys with 15 wins and a 4+ ERA. In four seasons that I simmed, I saw 12 players total have a batting average over .300. That's three per season, and keep in mind that this includes both leagues. Scores are generally outlandishly high (hence the ridiculous ERAs) but individual batting averages are very low.

Free agency inside of franchise mode is broken as well. Many others have touched on this so there's really no need to repeat any of that here.

Errors and injuries are huge elements of baseball. In 2K10, you'll see neither. After playing 24 games, I had one error and no injuries. I've seen pitchers take rocket line drives off of their skulls and they are always able to pick up the ball and gun the runner down. This is just kind of silly, is it not?

Freezing issues inside of My Player. After spending a huge amount of time developing my player and playing all the games, my progress was completely lost when I made the playoffs during my second year. It freezes every time I try and play and downloading the patch did nothing to fix this. All that time was wasted. I had back-up files but they are froze as well. The only way it doesn't freeze is if I intentionally miss the playoffs by going on a skid.

Player portraits are grossly outdated. If tell me this is not a big deal, save it. This goes back to what I said about people placing importance on different aspects of the game. While having ALL updated player portraits is NOT a gamebreaker for me, it does baffle me when guys have photos that are two, three and sometimes four years old. Ken Griffey, Jr. has not been a Red in what, two years? Yet in the game, he still has a Reds hat on. Edinson Volquez has not been a Ranger in what, three? In the game, he still has a Rangers hat on. It just bothers me, it really does, mainly because to me, it shows laziness. 2K has the MLB License but Ron over at 2K will tell you that 2K uses the photos supplied to them by the MLB, yet another game has completely updated player photos. Ugh, I won't go on and on about this, because I know a lot of you don't care, and that's fine... but to me, it sucks.

An editing cap. Really? Even after 2K told us that there was no editing cap this year? Someone found the exact quote from 2K over at their forums, and they distinctly said that there was no cap for editing players. We've seen that this is false. I'm a big roster guy and having the minor leagues is a big deal. I'd be fine with getting enough editing wiggle room to just have all the AAA teams named, but it can't be done.

I'll stop there, there's more, but I'll just stop. I want to enjoy this game and have tried, but the unplayable franchise mode has destroyed my desire right now and I am hoping that a patch can solve a lot of these issues.