Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #39
Only1LT
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Passing moved to the right stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Interesting idea - only thing is...there's no difference between QBs. Yeah, I get it, you're the QB, etc etc - but I shouldn't have the same level of control with Russell as I do Brees. I mean if "I'm the QB" that means, "I'm Russell". So why should I, as Russell, have the same passing control as I, as Brees? Should it not be based on the QB himself? Otherwise, if Russell as good as Brees - how would that be realistic?

I'm not a FPS player - never played one in my life, literally. I've always been a RPG and Turn-based Strategy gamer (as well as a board gamer). Now, I can play some RTS as long as they aren't super twitch and micro-fests (like K2 or Demigod are ones I can handle, Warcraft 3, not as much) - so this would be a pretty big adjustment. Doesn't help I'm more of a text-simmer in sports games anyway.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept - as long as the cursor isn't super slow at moving around, and there's some impact of the QB's actual skill level. Things like this are probably easier for baseball games because baseball is a MUCH slower-paced sport.
What would make Russell different from the Peyton's of the world would be the accuracy and composure rating. Like I said before you have the cursor. Where ever the cursor is, that's where the ball goes, for the most part. The cursor could be a small circle on the field. If you are an accurate QB like Peyton, then the ball will be placed pretty much on center. If you are an inaccurate QB, then the ball will be off center of the target to varying degrees based on your accuracy rating and the situation.

You would also have a composure rating that would make even the Peyton's of the world passes be off center to varying degrees, depending on situation, like being pressured.

As far as the speed of the cursor, you could tie awareness to how fast it moves, with QB's with better awareness having it move faster, etc. There should still be some user options to adjust the speed of the cursor to your liking, within a player's given range. Meaning that if Peyton's cursor speed is 100 for example, if you wanted to lower it, because it is too fast for you, you should be able to, as you could do for Russell if it is also too fast, but Russell would never be able to increase his speed beyond what ever his max speed, let's say for example 70, is.

I think this is the most realistic way to feel like you are making reads, be in control to the greatest possible extent of where your passes will go, take most of the randomness out of passing and wrest control away from the AI, and simulate QB awareness in another way other than the Vision Cone. I think it would fix a lot of what is wrong with the passing game, make it more immersive, challenging, and sim like as well.