Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #40
Only1LT
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Passing moved to the right stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Only1LT Yes here is a video of what your asking. NFL fever had it and it is a nice feature, and much more of a reflection of how good you really are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eALSNYDha4U

Check it out
Never owned either XBOX console, so this is the first time I'm ever seeing this game. Knew it existed of course, but never seen it. Pretty impressive.

I watched the vid several times, but I don't have audio at work. Looks pretty good, but I am unsure about a couple things. I have tried to see the routes before the snap and compare that to what the receivers actually do and I am not 100% sure whether they are running the routes as drawn up, or if they are being influenced by the cursor. It looks like they are are following the routes, but I'm not 100%. If they are running their routes as drawn and then adjusting to the placement of the ball after it's thrown, then that's fine, and how I would want it to be. If they are just following the circle and ignoring the play, then that is unrealistic and arcadey, but again, I am almost 100% that they are running the route as drawn and reacting after the fact.

Second thing is I think that the window to make a catch is way too wide. He was putting the cursor some 5-10yds up field and the receiver was still making the catch without even jumping. I know that they were bullets for the most part, but still, if you have the cursor that far up field, then they should be jumping for the ball to catch it. You have to be able to throw the ball high even when it is a bullet. One of the things that Madden, and most Football games in general, gets wrong is that they think that every bullet pass has to be a low line drive. In real life it is entirely possible to throw a pass that has both arc and a lot of pace. Most Football games just give you a pass that is 5ft off the ground or 100 miles in the air with nothing in between.

For me, this is how I think that it should work. If you drill a pass and you want the ball to be in the bread basket of the receiver, then the cursor should be on the same yard line as the receiver. If it is further up the field, it would be higher and closer to the LOS, it would be lower, to varying degrees. In this way you would be able to throw over the top of a defender and complete a pass to a receiver open behind him in a zone. Too much though and you risk over throwing the receiver too and having the safety behind him pick it.

I also don't think that it is necessary to have button icons for each receiver if you are doing this. You would only need a bullet trigger and a lob trigger. Not sure what button you hit in fever to actually pass to the receiver. If you have to still hit the right face button as well as aim, then that is just redundant. But again, I can't hear the vid, so maybe he explains it. I'll watch it again when I get home.

It looks cool though, minus the issues that I mentioned. Sickeningly, this is yet another game that has better animations than Madden lol.

Last edited by Only1LT; 04-13-2010 at 01:42 PM.