Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
BlueNGold
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Would 1 more patch be possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews
It was me you were talking about in the other thread, the 'crash the net' strategy. Ironically for some people they claim it's not a problem at all. I'm all about me being the one that's wrong and love to hope that that's the case because it means I can fix it. But I have tried and tried again. I'd say for every 15 to 20 times I take the puck down to the circle (as instructed by the nhl 04 video and an EA friend that I've known forever), I'm able to actually get my guy to crash the net and attack one time, mayyyybe twice, but rarely. On top of that, my third attacker, the one who is supposed to rush the middle, never, ever does. They just skate off. And while I doubt another patch will be let out, though I'm hopeful. I have to agree with every point you made. I make it a point not to pester my friend about certain work related things because if I get in the habit I'll never stop asking him. But this might be one I have to ask.

The forecheck is a huge part of many teams game. The CPU's passing at times is quite superhuman and your CPU teammates, even if the pass is slowly trickling towards the opponent and happens to cross in front of them, instead of taking one step forward and intercepting it, they just skate backwards away from the puck. Which ultimately leads to games, where you have to switch players at a ridiculous pace because a. you don't have control who you switch to, it automatically goes to the guy that the CPU thinks is best for you, which is quite often wrong. And B. the HUM teammates run away from the puck and act as though they're afraid of it. You shoot, they skate backwards, the cpu shoots, all 5 CPU players can be down low banging away at the puck and your guys will stay at their respective positions, guarding the point and high slot while your goaltender is getting beaten with sticks. And yeah, I mean, if the CPU can bang away at rebounds and stick around to actually follow a playset. Why can't our teammates? Clearly the programming is there, the CPU turns so many rebounds into goals, and I love it because it's realistic. But I don't love that I'm mostly unable to do the same thing because my teammates are completely inept.

I'm Sorry if this comes off as a rant. Don't get me wrong I love the game. But these are pretty glaring issues to anyone that's watched even one game of the playoffs this year and sees how big the forecheck is and how many scrums pile up all around the goalie and people are standing there banging away.
Great post. You also reminded me of another issue I have that I'm adding to my 1st post, which is the switching.

It's probably an issue that will have to wait until next year but I'm tired of pressing R trigger 20 times and only being able to switch between 2-3 players. I don't understand why it can't just be set up where you press the R trigger and it cycles through each player on your team one by one.

It's especially annoying when you want to switch to an enforcer on your team post whistle to fight or defend a teammate but it won't let you pick that player.