View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Dianwei32
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Different special move animations?

Alright so I did some testing for any differences between Arm of Steel/Battering Ram versus Power. I created 3 Gold HBs that all had the exact same heigt/weight/abilities except that one had Arm of Steel, one had Battering Ram and one had Power. I put two of them on a team and went into Practice mode to see if there were differences.

Battering Ram vs. Power
There was a difference in the animations, but it's difficult to declare one of them "better" than the other. With Battering Ram, the collision was more of a head-on hit between the HB and the defender (typically the SS in my tests) and both players were stopped in their tracks, but the HB kept his feet moving and was able to push over the defender and keep going. However, since the Battering Ram animation has the HB stop before pushing past the defender, it's easier for other defenders to catch up and finish the tackle.

With Power, the hit is more off-centered than with Battering Ram, so the HB doesn't have to slow down/stop before bouncing off the defender and being able to keep running. This makes it a little easier to break a tackle and keep going. Additionally, a Power shoulder charge is kind of a combo shoulder charge/stiff arm because as the HB is bouncing off the defender, he throws an arm out to push off the defender more quickly. While the Power shoulder charge does work more quickly than the Battering Ram animation, the Battering Ram animation seems to trigger more often than the Power animation does.

Arm of Steel vs Power
Again, there is a difference between the Arm of Steel and Power stiff arm animations, but there's not a way to say one is better. With Arm of Steel, the stiff arm immediately pushes the defender to the ground without slowing down much. With Power, the stiff arm animation has the HB and defender tied up for a few steps before the HB manages to push the defender to the ground. There isn't much difference in the speed of the animations like there is in Battering Ram/Power, but the Arm of Steel animation does cause the HB to slow down slightly for a brief moment in comparison to the Power animation.