View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #59
Cryolemon
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
I assume it is the same reason why the NCAA will not allow jersey's to be sold with player's names on the back. I would think this is the NCAA controlling brand image more than legal precedent.
Well yeah, and that is what pisses people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah, I believe if the NCAA wanted to they could have student athletes sign waivers and then the universities would legally have free access to use their names, likeness, etc. However, I don't think the NCAA wants to go that route as that would then further the cause (or outrage, whatever you want to call it) of people who believe athletes should be directly further compensated beyond tuition and room and board.

So in other words, even though they probably legally could go that route they know that they would probably take even more heat for profiting from student-athletes than they do now..
I dunno though, if the players signed a voluntary waiver it's their problem. Obviously making it mandatory would be an issue, but as long as it wasn't (make anyone who doesn't sign generic in the game) then they'd have no case at all.