Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #62
mgovick
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
mgovick - so you're cool with the synchronized swimming team losing their scholarships? You're cool with most of the baseball team players losing theirs as well? If we're going to compensate based on revenue they provide then probably 90% of sports in college would be shut down. That argument makes absolutely zero sense.

And the backups who never play do contribute to the team but my point was that they don't hit the field and generate revenue. No one tunes in on Saturdays to see see a backup QB holding a clip board and calling in plays. Sure it's important to the team but it's irrelevant in terms of revenue dollars.

I think you need to go back and re-think your arguments..
odogg- youre missing the point. its pretty simple.

The compensation beyond scholarships should come back to the players in some form, for athletes on a profit yielding team. I said nothing about swimmers losing scholarships. My point was that its not feasible for a swimmer to get any compensation for likeness or anything else because quite frankly put, collegiate swimming is not a business.

College football and basketball are business and professional for all intents and purposes barring players getting paid. From an operational standpoint they are both businesses.

and in regards to your rebuttal about backups. Your only as strong as your weakest link. Thats why I said that there an indirect impact.
Simply put. more depth=more competition= better on field product= more $$$