View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
MrNFL_FanIQ
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: 2018 Onward: Turning the Houston Texans Into a Winner

Week 1: Return to Miami

It was a rainy day in Miami, like always. The Dolphins won the toss and elected to kick, meaning the Texans rookie QB Cody Withers would be tested immediately in his first game. The Texans started and slowly started moving down the field, getting around midfield. But the drive would end abruptly as Kendrell Kennison would fumble the ball, forced and recovered by Sweeley.

Off of that, it wouldn't take Miami long. 3 plays later, Andre Maxwell was uncovered and he would get a 26 yard touchdown from Scotland giving the Dolphins an early 7-0 lead.

But the Texans would respond with a great drive. A balanced attack led them 80 yards on 11 plays and the Texans would tie it up with a 2 yard TD pass from Withers to Vernon Davis. 7-7.

To the 2nd, Miami would be forced to punt twice, Houston once, and then the Texans started to drive again, making their way into the red zone. But that drive would also end abruptly. A mis-communication on a pass to Tanard Mathis led to the ball easily floating into the hands of DeMeco Ryans.

Two turnovers.

But Miami would do nothing and end up punting the ball, placing it at the 4 with 1:25 left. The Texans would punt, and Miami would get right on the edge of field goal range, but get sacked out of it, forcing a heave at the end of the half that didn't work. 7-7 at halftime.

Miami started with it and had to punt again, and the Texans, whose passing game had been solid, moved near the red zone. But Kendrell Kennison would fumble the ball again, forced and recovered by Ryans.

3 turnovers.

Miami would punt, Houston would have a 3 and out, and the game was still 7-7 going into the 4th.

Miami would quickly take the lead in the 4th quarter, however. On the second play of a drive, Skyler Cofield would make a catch one-on-one, and break the tackle, taking off for a 71 yard touchdown. 14-7 Dolphins.

The Texans would look good to start their next drive, getting to about the 30 yard line. But this time, Greg Jennings, who had replaced Kennison as the #2 WR, fumbled the ball, forced by Sweeley, recovered by Ryans.

4 turnovers.

But the Texans defense held strong, forcing a 6th punt of the day. With 8 minutes to go, the Texans led a drive down the field, and this time it was turnover free. 7 plays, 64 yards, ending in a 23 yard pass to Bryant Holyfield, and the Texans were tied with the Champs, 14-14.

Miami's next drive would be singlehandedly ruined by Justin Grooms, who was surprisingly the starting TE over Antonio Gates. A holding penalty and two drops forced Miami into punting, giving the Texans the ball with 4 minutes left.

And then disaster struck.

Withers, who had been excellent all game, forced a bad pass into double coverage, that bounced off the hands of Brodney Pool and into the hands of Jonathan James. James would take it 44 yards to the endzone, touchdown Dolphins, 21-14.

5 turnovers.

With about 3 minutes left, the game was still not out of reach. But the first play of the next drive, Withers would throw another ill-advised pass, intercepted by Arnez Soriano.

6 turnovers.

The Dolphins, who had been stuffed all game, tried 3 straight runs, and lost 6 yards, appearing to be knocked just out of field goal range.

Facemask, automatic first down.

The Dolphins would get their field goal, taking a 24-14 lead with 2 minutes to go.

With time running down, the Texans passed down the field, but the strategy of holding all 3 timeouts in case of a score would fail, as C Twan Hastings would get injured, forcing a timeout. (Hastings suffered a ruptured spleen, and is IR'd) By the time they got close, there was about 15 seconds left. And then for good measure, Withers threw one more interception. Jahmar Sweeley caught it, and ended the game with a 99 yard touchdown.

7 turnovers. Final score, 31-14.

Withers was 25-37, 406 yards, 2 TD, 4 INT. He had been great until those last few minutes. Run game sucked, Mathis only could get 51 on 20 carries. Holyfield had 158 on 6 with a TD, Davis had 110 on 9 and a TD. Lamont Oden and Chase Beck each had 2 sacks.

Scotland was 13-26, 260, 2 TD. Brewington was held to 26 yards on 18 carries. Cofield had 146 on 5 with a TD.

Obviously, when you turn the ball over 7 times, you are guaranteed to lose. But the game was much closer than the score would indicate. I didn't really expect to win this game, but it kills me that I hung with them until the last 4 minutes, despite the 3 earlier turnovers. I was RIGHT in that game.

Disappointing to say the least, but the team is talented, and hopefully can avoid mistakes.

As mentioned, Hastings is out of the year with a ruptured spleen. Because I don't like my backup options, I signed Dan Koppen in free agency to take over the starting center role. Also, FB Ahmard Hall got hurt, he may miss the next game against the Steelers.

Last edited by MrNFL_FanIQ; 06-13-2010 at 04:21 PM.