View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
tate09
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Spread Offense Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
I'm experiencing nothing like you are, and I run the spread option offense(Mississippi State's playbook). I run read options all the time, well, not all the time, but a good amount per game(I try to keep it at like 3 or 4 if its a long drive, but nothing more) and get a good mixture of losses and gains. If the LB lines up close to the line and diagonally on the outside of the DE on which ever side the HB is on, I read the LB. If he crashes down, I keep it. If he stays at home, I hand it off. If he does not line up there, I read the DE on the side that the HB is on. If he crashes down, I keep it. If he stays at home, I hand it off. Its all about finding lanes and hitting them. If you miss your lane, and cant cut back into it, you will probably either get hit for a loss, or only a gain of 3-4 yards. If you can hit the lane or able to get to the outside ahead of the defense, you can get a nice chunk of yardage. Occasionally, the option wouldnt work not matter what due to what you said. But, you cannot always call the read option. If you do, the defense will always go with the best play to blow it up before it begins. You need to mix in some passes and just some plain handoffs, speed options or triple options. Exclusively running the read option with a pass to get the 1st on 3rd down is a recipie for failure in this game and in real life.
yeah, i know what you're saying about reading the overhang, but i'm not going to run the ball period when the CPU safeties are inside the box as well. against normal down and distance defenses, the spread running game works alright, the problem is that typically lasts all of 1 play each game then they start loading the box relentlessly no matter how many times i audible to pass and burn the blitz.

just to clarify, i'm having no trouble moving the ball or scoring pts, the problem is there is no strategy or offensive system involved when the CPU tries to cover my 5 eligible receivers with 3 defensive players.

i can't imagine the kind of stats guys that play with houston, texas tech, hawaii and all the air raid teams are putting up this year.