Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
BlastX21
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Not complaining but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
It'd be hard to have "good" commentary in a football game. I mean baseball is easy because it plays at such a methodical pace, and they have licensing rights of the players.

But college football is hard to create a good broadcast commentary. There are very few lines that you could say for each game. And recording wouldn't be simple. In order to make the play-by-play stand out from years past would to have Brad record much much longer than he does today.

One of my major complaints is the copy and pasting of the names to the generic play-by-play calls. Example "McClain!"..."with the catch". McClain has an exclamation next to it due to the hype and excitement in Nessler's voice when he calls his name, however "with the catch" is a generic call to designate a WR catching a ball.

What EA would need to do to make it stand out is to have remove a lot of this copying and pasting. They would record "McClain comes down with it!", "McClain with the short catch" etc. for all of the possibilities of catches by the player. Not only would this take FOREVER to record with all the names and possibilities, but could there be a lawsuit against EA if the recorded so many names for players?

Anyway, the copying and pasting is what's tough about listening to games now, but to do away with that would take hours and hours. I suggest EA go for a play-by-play announcer less well known that can dedicate as many hours as it takes to record everything, but with the ESPN in the game, that is nearly impossible.

My point is that it's really hard to eliminate copying and pasting without forming a lawsuit against the generic player rule. And while they could record play-by-play by number "number 36 with the catch", it's not nearly as immersive. So it's a tough situation they're in with the commentary, and this is one aspect of the game that I let slide.
Who says it even needs to be an official announcer? Most hardcore football fans (like us) who can speak well could do just as good a job as anybody on commentating a game.