View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
steelers1
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Should I bother to look at 1* recruits?

I play as 1* Tulane in my dynasty, and recruited 1* guys the first 2 years and can say they are pretty useless. I would usually end up cutting every 1* guy that made the team. No matter who you are playing as, it is useless to recruit 1* guys during the season. Wait until the offseason, because there will still be guys available who will be willing to sign when you have leftover scholarships.

I keep track of my dynasty and the recruits, and in my first 2 recruiting classes I had 9 1* recruits. 8 of them were cut before the season and 1 was cut the year after redshirting. There ratings are broken down below:

1 at 40 OVR.
3 at 41
1 at 43
1 at 46 (a JUCO)
1 at 47
2 at 52 (a JUCO and a punter)

The only guy who was on the roster for a year was the punter because I wanted to see how he progressed, but I never saw since I was forced to cut him the next year. He was awful anyway... I think he had something like 52 kick power and 52 accuracy. I will say that 1* guys are better than the walk-ons I have had (all mine have been 40 OVR and useless), but you'd be better off making position changes with some of your other guys than having a 1* or walk-on on the team. Usually the JUCOs are rated a little higher, but are just as (or more) useless.

That being said, I rarely have a 2 or 3* recruit that comes in rated higher than a 60. I can usually pull in 5 to 8 3*s (All-American recruiting) and there are usually a couple 3* guys who are rated at 52 or 53. It's very disappointing when your best recruits are busts... and I love that the game is made that way.