View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Money99
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Ovechkin vs Crosby

For me, this is a bit of a loaded question.

If I were to build a team from scratch, and I need to pick one guy, I'd take Crosby. But it's oh-so-close.

AO is a more dynamic goal scorer, and more entertaining on and off the ice.

However, what makes me choose Crosby over AO is that he's more defensively responsible and he uses his teammates a bit more.

Also, while their numbers are very close to one another, AO has a lot more offensive support than Sid.
Not only does he play in a more offensively minded system, he has a 40-goal, and 30-goal scoring linemates. Heck, his center broke 100 points this year too. And I haven't even mentioned Mike Green.

Imagine if Sid had a 100-point winger on one side, and a 40-goal scoring winger on the other?
He's able to put up 100-points every year playing with 3rd line teammates.
If Sid were plucked into a situation similar to AO's, I believe he could top 130+ points every year. Maybe more.

The only thing that I wish Sid could work on is his temper flares. He can act childish at times. I'm going to tack that up to being young. Gretzky certainly had his share of tantrums on the ice.
But overall, I think Sid is the better of the two players - but it's razor, razor thin.