View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Oraeon1224
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football

As I always say play with whatever suites you. But do not think for a minute that a 1 second gap in 40 times between a 90 WR and a 80 speed LB is realistic it just gives you open passes without requiring as rigorous a reading. In football uless you have beat the safety they will have angles and catch you, then it is up to you to make them miss (I went to UofL and have watched all their games for many seasons, a sig % of time demps cuts and someone misses; though behind the safety catches do occur).

Incidentally I have at least one big play everygame. If you catch the defense and pass against the safety and it is one on one they will not catch you. In fact against UK my UL dynasty WR with 92 speed caught a deep pass down the sidelines in the final minutes of the game and though pursued by 1 CB and 1 safety wasn't caught. They dove and missed from too far behind but never had a chance to catch up. The threshold slider merely makes the speeds more equalized (you can check out the madden game developer thread from last year to understand this slider better). It will never make players faster than you who should be slower, at best they would have equal speed. It is more likley you are seeing safeties on angles and not really having the sort of deep pass that does happen occassionally in college football.

The other option I haven't tested is that you are setting pass coverage to a higher value. I have seen CB and safeties magically be much faster than very fast recievers even downfield with this slider at default and it is much worse at higher values. I you reset pass coverage to 40 and threshold to 65 I assure you there will be downfield passes and you will not be caught from behind, but the rest of the coverage will be accurate and reasonablly hard to pass against.