View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #70
LiquorLogic
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm still confused. Can someone explain to me how hiding ratings makes Madden better / more realistic? All I can think about is that, IRL, ratings are not hidden from coaches or other players, except for maybe rookies. Even with rookies, physical ability ratings are known. What coaches don't know about a rookie is how he would apply those ratings... awareness, technique, coachability.
There are no ratings in real life. Ratings are are based on a players performance and are used to mimic that in the video game. Here's is an example of how hiding ratings would make Madden better, or more realistic: let's say a team picks up a productive corner, but the system this corner played in required him to play zone coverage a majority of the time. Assuming that he hasn't played on a team that required him to play a ton of man coverage, if you're going to ask him to do that, how would you know that he would be cut out for it ? The answer is you wouldn't ? He may be able to thrive on a defense that plays a lot of man, or he may get undressed. Hiding ratings would open up many situations like this. There's no way for a coaching staff, whose defense plays a lot of man, to anticipate how this particular player will pan out.

Quote:
I think someone also mentioned potential being hidden. Again, why? Potential is always known. What we don't know is if a player will reach his potential. Remember, potential is largely based on physical attributes... size, speed, strength, ect. A bigger, stronger, faster, more elusive RB has more potential. The only question is will he maximize these attributes.

I think folks are mistaking ratings with improvement/regression. And in the case of potential, mistaking fulfilling/exceding it.
Potential is not always known. The draft is based on what scouts and coaches think a player's potential is. If potential was always known, Brady would've been picked number one overall, not in the sixth round. Joe Montana would have been picked early in the first round, not in the mid rounds. Farve would have been a first round draft pick and, more than likely, would have played a lot longer in Atlanta than he did.

Also, RB is probably the easiest position to project in the NFL. If a player has speed, agility and good vision, more than likely, he'll be effective in the NFL. The evaluation process isn't that easy regarding other positions.

Quote:
Seriously, can someone give me a real life example of not knowing a player's ratings? Pick a player and tell us what we don't know about him and how that would apply to this hidden ratings option.
Kevin Kolb, he performed well against the Saints, who aren't really known for their defense, and the Chiefs who are terrible. How is his awareness ? We haven't seen him against a stellar defense, or a division opponent who will see him twice a year. How is his arm strength ? Will the Eagles stretch the defense without McNabb's cannon ? How is his toughness, does he get rattled easily ? We won't know any of this until he plays more games. The way Madden's ratings are shown, we'd know everything beforehand.