View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
BezO
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Has EA's pro football experience peaked?

Block,

For someone like me, I think Madden is as good as it's gonig to get on this generation of systems. There are some things that must be rebuilt, and I doubt that's going to happen until the game has to be prepared for those systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Gameflow, to me, is not "just" ask Madden. I take the time and effort to change game plans on a weekly basis based on the team I'm up against. Real NFL teams do this on a weekly basis. Setting up the game plan yourself personalizes the game plan. If your just going to let the AI pick your offense and defense, then yeah, it probably is just ask Madden.
I have 3 problems with this feature:

1. EA analyzed some data that told them the average gamer was only using a few plays. IMO, having the CPU pick plays for you was not the answer. Improving the playbook, play calling mechanics & AI were.

2. EA also wanted to make games quicker with this feature. Well, if I have to spend a half hour or more setting up the gameplan, there's no time saved. And worst, the half hour spent gameplanning is all gameplanning, no playing, going completely against what they were trying to accomplish.

3. The feature needs a lot of work. Defensively, it's not analyzing personnel correctly. And it's pulling plays from a bunch of pre-packaged schemes. Offensively, it's not accounting for some situations, making the CPU look stupid at times. EA has proven to be very slow improving new features, and there's a lot of work to do. IMO, Madden's "engines" are maxed out and Game Flow / Game Planning will be lacking until other areas of the game are drastically improved.