View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
dalecooper
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Sick of DBs covering multiple recievers

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
I doubt EA will patch this. Even a tuning set aimed at softening this would be an admission that they set up gamers to fail.
They didn't "set up gamers to fail." They created AI that gets the defense to go after the ball. It's easy to program defensive reactions based on events - ball gets thrown (or fumbled, or run past the line of scrimmage) = defender heads in that direction. This has been the simple-minded logic of Madden and NCAA games since forever. It's harder for them to write a system that is more realistic - basically where the defender only reacts if he's looking at the ball when the event happens, or if they have someone on D shout "Run!" or "Fumble!" or what have you. First of all that's much more complex to write and make work than the existing super-primitive system, and second of all if anything goes wrong with it ever, it will lead to some of the worst cheese you've ever seen. You can already imagine it, right? "Hey guys - run a Hail Mary, wait three seconds for all the corners and DBs to be facing the wrong way, then throw a simple dump-off in the flat for 50 yards! Works every time!"

This kind of thing can only be done if the logic behind it is rock-solid, AND if EA programs defensive backs and linebackers to act like they do in reality. They have to look into the backfield, or at least kind of behind themselves, pretty often to keep track of the ball. But they also have to not blow their assignments too much while doing so. And they probably have to communicate verbally, adding another level of complexity.

I'd be in favor of this but only if it's done well. I don't believe EA is artificially making the game difficult; I think they're artificially making it easier for themselves to create a playable game.