View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Paytonsplace
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: No Thread on week 2 Madden sales?

If one includes all platforms then the year over year sales are down. The increase in PS3 sales is offset and probably due to a significant decline in PS2 sales. I can't imagine that EA is thrilled with these results especially given that last year's summer numbers were not well received by EA.

This is why I believe the NFL exclusive does not matter. Madden has to compete against games like "Mass Effect 2", "Red Dead Redemption", and pretty soon "Halo:Reach". These are blockbuster games that pretty much define the cutting edge of console gaming. This is why I do believe that ultimately Madden does have competition. Madden must compete for the gamer's time and money weighed against these other options. Indeed back in 2006-2007, the XBOX 360 did not have the number and quality of games available. This has changed significantly. So much so that despite the user base for the XBOX 360 increasing significantly since last year, Madden sales have failed to keep pace, rather they have declined. The sad fact for EA is that when one examines the sales charts over the years, the NFL exclusive did not yield any significant increase in Madden sales. Madden is a pretty stale experience when weighed against these other games.

I've been a fan of Madden since 1991 and a football fan for life, however my gaming time is currently devoted to "Dragon Age" and "Red Dead Redemption". I'll come back to Madden when the game is capable of matching the entertainment value of "Mass Effect 2".