View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #33
yoda43
Rookie

yoda43's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Where Did The Speed Go?

Love this thread, and love everyone's arguments...very good stuff.

I am in my 5th Dynasty year playing in a 2 person league....so my stuff might not be comparable with you guys, but my buddy and i have been playing dynastys since the start of NCAA on ps2. I have a RB right now that i got 2 seasons ago. I redshirted him, he is now a RS sophmore. THis guys was pre-PATCH 3 and LTP 3. He is 6'1" 219, RIght now he has 98 spd 98 acc he is a 96 overall. And i have to say it is an tons of fun playing with this guy, BUT i also realize this is not very realistic. He is unstopable against the computer, and almost to the point where its really not even fair. Averaging around 200 yds / game. So with all this being said i really have to say i like what i see out of POCKETS SCOUTS numbers i think a RB's speed should come secondary to his ACC, BKTCKL, JUKE etc. The best RB in the country last year was Mark Ingram, not because of his speed but because of the combination of Size, power, Elusiveness, and Vision. And sometimes this is how it is, Emmit Smith is arguably the best RB of all time (and even though i love the Dallas Cowboys, i will always say the Barry Sanders was really the greatest, but thats a discussion for another time) Emmit was not a burner, but he had Elusivness, Vision and Patience. Sometimes too much speed and Acceleration can get you in trouble, because your into the offensive line before there is a hole to run through. So you end up having to break everything to the outside. For me i love running between the tackles, but with the RB i have i hardly get to do that because he is TOO FAST.

Another example of too much speed in the NFL is Chris Johnson. He is a burner, but his best plays used to always come out of draws and screens and delays. The reason for this (as you all know) is on a draw or a delay the offensive line has time to block and open holes at the first and second levels. Which allowed Chris Johnson to do what he does best get in the open field and run away from people. But last year when he learned some patience....he really became a dynamic all around RB. Now when you watch him he really knows how to be patient, and when to open it up. He is very scary, and he proved it again this past weekend. ( LOL, i won my fantasy league because of him last year as well)

Anyways this is just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth.

Thanks!

Last edited by yoda43; 09-13-2010 at 12:06 PM.