View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
guaps
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Instead of potential, how bout...

I agree that expectations should be the way to view potential. I'd like an option where you get an assessment from your coaching staff based on their expectations instead of a visible rating. By expectations I mean that a lot is expected from a 1st round pick and less from 2nd, 3rd and so on.

Say, you'll get told by the coaching staff (under player info/bio) that your 3rd round draft pick shows more potential than a typical 3rd round pick, but he needs more time on the field to make a better evaluation (which might not come the first season unless he plays enough).

And allow your coaching staff to re-adjust their assessment after every 4 games in the season (including pre-season). Some players might be spot on from the start, while others are found to be a failure or a success compared to the round they were drafted in. Also allow them to be wrong from time to time. Say, they don't believe your undrafted free agent has a lot of upside, but after a couple of good games they suddenly change their mind.

Nobody ever accuses a 7th round pick of being a bust, because teams expect less from him, but if he preforms better than expected he should get some credit from the coaching staff. However, the uncertainty should still be there. Just because your 7th round pick is doing greater than expected from a 7th round pick, that doesn't mean that he will become elite. After a few seasons of preforming above his draft pick your coaching staff might tell you, that they believe he is at the top of his game.