View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #374
Candyman5
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
So the NFL and a referee who called the game both have stated that a catch made by Visanthe Shiancoe late in the first half for an apparent touchdown should have remained a touchdown rather than overturned to an incomplete pass by a replay review.

My question is, how? Every time I see the replay, the ball moves when it hits the ground, and Shiancoe's hands aren't under the ball, they are on the sides. My understanding is that, because the ball moves, it's considered not in control, and is an incompletion. Kinda like how trapped balls are ruled when the player goes low to catch a low-thrown ball on a button hook; the player can use the ground to help the catch, but the ball has to not move.

What gives? Is my understanding of the rule wrong?
The rule basically says you cannot use the ground to help catch the ball, shancoe never used the ground to make the catch, he had the ball in his hands the whole way down until he hit the ground and the ball never moved around, it just went up into his chest with the ball in the same position as it was during the catch.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees