View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Segagendude
Banned

OVR: 24
Cleveland Rocks----an NHL 10 Dynasty

NHL, OWNERS APPROVE SALE AND RELOCATION OF TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING TO CLEVELAND

The NHL owners and president Gary Bettman announced the sale and move of the Tampa Bay Lightning to Cleveland, Ohio investor Jeff Allen has been approved.

The move, effective for the upcoming 2010 season, surprised some, although since winning the Stanley Cup in 2004, the Lightning has been hampered by financial trouble and dwindling attendance.

"This was something I hated to do, but felt I had no choice in the matter", the current owner, Jeffrey Vinik, said. "I want to thank the Lightning fans for all their support, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it work".

Cleveland, meanwhile, has been without an NHL franchise since the Barons in 1976-1978. Allen said the "timing was good" for a return:

"Back then, (1976), there really wasn't a market for hockey in Cleveland. The Barons were doomed to fail because of it.
Now, however, the NHL expanisons have included warm-weather cities like Phoenix. So I figured, why not Cleveland?", Allen said.
"We took a poll of sports fans last year, and the results were overwhelmingly in favor of an NHL team. So we knew it would work", Allen continued.

The new team will be named the Renegades, after the STYX hit song "Renegade". The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is located near the Quicken Loans Arena, the new home of the Renegades, and STYX was recently inducted there.

The team's colors will be dark green with black and white trim, and the logo will be a fist surrounded by five points, similar to the "power of rock and roll hand gesture", again in honor of the RNR Hall.

"This is an exciting time in C-town," Allen continued. "The fans were dejected after losing LeBron (James, of the NBA Cavaliers, who went to the Miami Heat as a free agent) and needed something to lift their spirits. What better way than to bring the excitement of the NHL to the Q!"

The sale amount was not disclosed, however it's estimated to be around $110 million. Most of the current players on the roster will be retained, and Cleveland will pick second in the expansion draft.

Last edited by Segagendude; 04-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove