View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
RaychelSnr
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
THQ Boss Declares Video Game Prices Are Too High -- New MX Game to sell for $40

In the section filed under, "news you didn't see coming category," THQ boss Brian Farrel declared triumphantly to CNBC that video game prices are just too darned high at $60.

Quote:
Brian Farrell, however, is taking a stance that runs counter to some of his peers, with plans to launch the next installment of one of the company’s oldest franchises at just 2/3 of the going price for new software.

“MX vs. ATV” will cost $40 instead of $60 when it comes out next year. Farrell’s betting that increasing consumer interest in digitally downloaded content will make up the difference—and maybe even result in higher markings.

“I know investors worry about price points,” he says. “When we think about this business, we wonder if we can turn it on its head a bit. How many users can we capture? … The real key is expanding in the installed base.”
This is an interesting development considering THQ is a major developer of sports games like UFC Undisputed and WWE Smackdown vs. Raw. Could we see a sort of watershed moment coming here where games are cheaper, just you have to pay to get all the features possible?

I'm not sure if I like that option, but it might come to pass from THQ at least.
Advertisements - Register to remove