Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #256
Knight165
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
Knights, I was responding also to another poster as well as you. But as for Mauer, the attempted trade by the Twins was in may 2010, the first year of my franchise. I actually like when the CPU acts like a real life team and moves a star player when the team is rebuilding. I hold almost no one to be sacred to a franchise. My issue is when star players are traded when the team is in contention and when the player isn't in the last year of a contract or doesn't have a contract that is weighing the team down. One of my favorite parts of 30 team control in NBA 2k was playing GM and working the salary cap to create cap space for Free agents for some teams, pick up pieces for the stretch run for others, stockpile draft picks, etc. I certainly don't begrudge the CPU doing the same thing, if it's done logically and appropriately. My complaint is that I seen inappropriate moves like teams with proven closers offering 3 year contracts for 43 year old Billy Wagner or rebuilding teams offering seven million dollar a year deals to Troy Glaus. Or of course the stockpiling of multiple top players at the same position. I understand the game doesn't understand the intangible benefits that Mauer brings to the Twins, and I advocate a system like you that does take that into account. But I'm not actually hung up on names. I'd be just as upset if Joe Blow had signed a big long term deal with a contending team and then was immediately traded.

At the same time, it's possible my standards for logic in free agency and trades is higher than the current programming capablilities. It's why I do appreciate the 30 team option.
Gotcha.
I guess I misread you on the name aspect. Sorry.
As for the stockpiling....I think it's because the devs wanted teams to take into account the possibilities of moving a player to a new position.
I agree it does happen too often and at times makes little sense.
I know that's what they wanted with the CP----->RP(which I wouldn't mind in Wag's case as long as they put him in the setup spot and didn't blow 15 million for him for the year at 43).
...and I truly don't think that the logic is limited by the programming capabilities...but actually in the amount of variables the team has in place right now. I do think and hope that they would add such things as a "star system"(that a certain player would mean more to his current team rather than another club)....and things of that nature.
I'm all for adding any new and good dimensions to the game as the more complex it gets...the more I enjoy playing vs. the CPU GM's.
Sounds like you(and others) feel the same.

M.K.
Knight165