View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
RaychelSnr
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Legacy of the Power Glove and Why Motion Controls Are the Future

My first experience with motion-based gaming came way back in 1989. I was eight years old and completely convinced, in my naivety, that the new Nintendo-designed Power Glove would transport me into the games I loved so much. After seeing the commercial, I dreamed of being brought into Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! and trading blows with Bald Bull and Glass Joe.

Imagine my surprise when, after opening my Christmas presents that year, I found that the Power Glove was largely a sub-par device that detracted more from the experience than it added.

Now, the Power Glove is little more than a footnote in the history of pop culture. People my age like to litter discussions with ironic mentions of the thing. Last week I heard someone quoting the oft-forgettable, Nintendo-advertisement-masquerading-as-a-movie The Wizard by saying, "It's so bad." It's embarrassing, even now, to admit how much faith and hope I had in that damned thing. But rest assured, for as ridiculous as it was, for as misleading as it was, the line of thought that once led to the production of a useless plastic glove covered in buttons is the direction we, as gamers, are heading in.

Read More - The Legacy of the Power Glove and why Motion Controls are the Future
Advertisements - Register to remove