View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
RaychelSnr
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

Motion controls being used in sports games? Bah Humbug! In today's world of gimmicky gaming control schemes, there is nothing more infuriating to me as a hardcore sports gamer than for people to think that motion controls are the future of the genre. I could go off on a long-winded diatribe explaining my disdain for motion controls in sports gaming, but it is far easier to point to the historical failure of existing motion-control schemes to illustrate what a mistake it is to believe this gimmick will catch on.

As my colleague Jared Sexton mentions in his article taking a "pro" perspective on motion controls, the Power Glove teased sports gamers with the possibility of actually interacting with our favorite Nintendo sports personalities. Like Jared, I too was beyond disappointed to don the glove, only to find that its motion capabilities were severely limited, and that you still had to rely on a controller that was conveniently hidden on the forearm of the unit -- I never noticed that in The Wizard. It was at this moment my confidence in motion-controlled sports gaming was shattered. Even at the ripe old age of eight, I knew when I had been swindled, and my distrust of anything mentioning "motion" with regards to gaming was in full effect.

Read More - Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games
Advertisements - Register to remove