Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #263
Heroesandvillains
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
Interesting what you are seeing in regards to stolen bases. I was thinking that they did a pretty good job of improving this since last year. Not only do I see runners that are not the top 10 fastest players attempting to steal, but I also see more hit and runs than I have ever seen in a video game (which might explain the hitter's count running you mentioned). I think they need to fine tune the decision on whether a successful steal is made rather than some in-game dice rolling algorithm that either makes a fast runner slow down or a weak catcher's arm magically turn into a rifle to make the perfect throw. Otherwise I think the steals are pretty good.

Couldn't agree more on outfield errors. I wish there were some way for the CPU to determine that I, the player, made an error and charge me with it. I have misplayed dozens of balls in the outfield (like getting behind the ball to throw out the runner only to have the ball bounce in front, or thinking I am right under the ball as it goes over my head) in this year's game and never get charge an error for it. I guess it would be pretty impossible for a CPU to know that, so perhaps some kind of error override system where the user can make the call.
Ah!!! Some official score keeper option!

I love it. I would use the heck out of that.

I agree that hit and runs are plentiful, just to add to what you posted. The AI baserunning agressivness is good. I'm with you on that. I just get sick of throwing to tier guys out on 1-0/2-0 counts to kill CPU rallies. I find myself talking to the television, pleading with Ichiro to chill out a moment. I throw plenty of balls...I just wish they'd capitalize on that a bit more and wait for an offspead pitch situation to run on.

Oh, and to add to my previous post:

How about Defensive Indifference?

You know, program a 9th inning scoring mechanic, where if the team that is stealing is behind 5 or more runs, the second baseman/shortstop won't cover the bag and the game doesn't register a SB or a SB attempt.

I don't know. Maybe if it were that easy, SCEA would have already included it...