View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
shttymcgee
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Fixing Defense (or, a Lesson in the Principle of Less is More).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
I must not have made this clear. I'm referring to the Computer's defense against a human. As a human I can get into the look I want without a ton of difficulty, but I can't stop the computer from misaligning itself.

There are a lot of styles of "zone" blocking. I think they are using covered/uncovered rules. NOt the style I would have picked, but, atleast it's consistant.

The protections leave something to be desired.

I know what you mean on a few of the concepts (Levels is one that has some issues. Stick can also be tricky) but I've noticed that the route running attribute effects that as well. Like zone-blocking, things aren't perfect....but they do provide the right feel and a degree of simulation. Even if you have to fudge it a little to get it too work right.

Scrape and cutback have been alright. I think the new blocking kinda/sorta fixed LB play in some ways. The DB run support is brutal...and linebackers that still run away from the play at time (especially OLB in a zone).
While the actual "assignment" part of the blocking may be right (most NFL teams that run true zone, not pin and pull use covered-uncovered with a counting method), its implementation is bad. There is not nearly enough lateral movement occuring, especially after contact. Not to mention that there is no difference between inside and outside zone runs in the game other than aiming point.

Cutback is not okay. For example who should have cutback in a quarters defense? The backside safety. That never happens, and its not just in quarters defenses. While scrape responsibilities may appear okay, I don't really think that they are, everyone just tries to take an outside angle to the ball carrier.