View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
shttymcgee
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Does Madden's OL/DL interaction take into account DL gap alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I feel like the basic idea of one gap vs. two gap styles can be duplicated by the user, and it would be nice to have to option to implement this for the CPU.

As the user, if you want to two gap with the Nose Tackle, you can engage with the center, then read the run and either swim left or swim right to choose which gap to control. So you almost allow the suction block for a second, read the play and react.

To one gap, you can just make a move quickly right off the line and attack the backfield. I don't like how the moves are predetermined however. Actually hate it. They also need to implement better speed and bull rushes for the DLine.

So the user can make these choices, but obviously the user can't control every player. Maybe have an option where the user can choose HOW his CPU teammates play and when they use DLine moves and such.
I really don't think you can two-gap all that consistently. Your idea seems like a good one, but what about the 4 techniques? They're being controlled by the cpu, so you don't really get a true 2 gap style. Besides, I think Casey was really talking about how defensive alignments affect blocking assignments, which is really where the differences b/w two-gap and 1-gap styles come into play. Look at how these two fronts affect the blocking of a strong side wide zone play:

...............................................T.. ........................
.................................................. ....F.................
...............................................Q.. .......................
...............................TE...T...G...C...G. ..T...............
...............................R.........3....0... ......5..............
.....................................40..........2 0I.....50...........

...............................................T.. ........................
.................................................. ....F.................
...............................................Q.. .......................
...............................TE...T...G...C...G. ..T...............
...............................R.........3......1. ......5..............
.....................................40......10... ...40I...........

In the 1st example, the nose is going to be combo blocked by the center and backside guard, while in the second example, the combination is going to happen on the 3 technique, leaving the guard to cut-off the nose. This minor adjustment in alignment (major difference in philosophy) has vastly altered the combination schemes by the offensive line.

In addition, I think it would be a good idea to categorize players as what kind of style they are best at in their ratings (1-gap penetrator, gap control, 2 gapper)
Advertisements - Register to remove