View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #41
Sven Draconian
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Fixing Defense (or, a Lesson in the Principle of Less is More).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Good stuff Sven! I admire you and LB for taking the time to provide detail & get technical. I can never bring myself to do so.

Unfortunately, I must not know what I'm doing.

Offensive playbooks need duplication of plays from formation to formation. And it needs to be retiered, starting with personnel, then all available formations with the selected personnel. The QB drop needs to be put into the play name. And the drops & primary routes need to be synchronized.
Certainly there could be fine tuning in the books, but are you telling me you can't run your offense from it? My biggest pet peave is that incredible amount of spread formations...that are really the same. It makes it tough to find the concepts I like. The same is true for the running game, it can be a little clunky to find what I want to run. I wouldn't mind a new interface to streamline what I want....

but I was really only referring to the actual plays, rather than the play calling system. The plays and concepts are outstanding.

Compared to any previous game (EA or 2K) the playbooks we have are amazing. The 2k book is an absolute joke in the passing game. There are a ton of basic concepts missing.

As for the QB/WR timing...I've been able to hit on rhythm the last couple versions. It's not as nice looking animation wise as 2k, but I've been able to throw the ball before the WR cuts for a long time.

Quote:
Defensive playbooks won't be right until they're tiered. There are not enough pre-packaged schemes and my understanding is that there's a space issue. As it stands, there are too many basic shcemes missing. Every play, I have to decide if I'm selecting based on coverage and accepting the included blitzes/stunts or selecting based on blitzes/stunts and accepting the coverage. Even with the available schemes, they're not duplicated in related fronts.

Yeah, I've been calling this engaged player mobility. The lack of it kills the timing & spacing. Outside runs & cutbacks look nothing like they should. It hurts pass rushing animations & the pocket as well.
Defensive books need some work, but we've already talked about that quite a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove