View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #260
greenieblue
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch)

How I arrived at 1.4

I ran 10 CPU v. CPU quarters (thus, 20 different teams & at least 100 different players) and hand tracked FGM/FGA by location on the floor. It is hard to tell if one click would result in +10 boost to FG% or +5, etc. But since I have run a few of these tests on a number of different settings, I'm quite confident in the settings for Close and Mid. 3pt is easy to track since the game does it for you. So, no new info there.

Inside, Layup, Dunk, DIT, Contact are trickier. For one, teams averaged about 2-4 "and 1's" a game last year. So contact shot cannot really be high. At the previous setting, it was too high-- i.e. there were too many conversions on fouls. So that had to be dropped. Layups seem almost indestructible. But it is not quite clear what 2k calls a layup and what they call an inside shot. 4 of the 5 seem redundant to me (that is: Inside, Layup, Dunk, DIT). Inside seems like it only refers to post-ups that go deep enough to enter the charge circle. But, what you are looking for here is 61%, not 100%. So, since layups are almost always successful (and very hard to tune as a result), and dunks should be almost always successful, the majority of misses have to come on Inside shots.

I'm still not happy with this, but the only way to finish them off is to play. So I will.

Another note:

NBA teams averaged 46% FG% last year.

They averaged 44% in what 2k11 calls close.

39% in what 2k11 calls mid.

35% in threes.

So how is that possible, or why is your FG% too low?

They shot 61% on dunks, layups and putbacks.

It is extremely hard (short of editing the entire leagues tendencies) to make the computer live inside (27 shots a game in 09-10) like they do in the NBA. 2k11 player tendencies just LOVE mid-range jumpers. So FG% should and will probably be low for the computer. You can control your own FG% by getting to hoop.

Last edited by greenieblue; 12-13-2010 at 11:50 AM.